Pages

1.04.2009

Not for evening snacking

Since school isn't in session right now, I've been trying to choose recipes that are both appropriate to winter and that have a fairly small yield. And thus, this week we have Mocha Shortbread (27).

I think I've talked about making shortbread before on this blog, but I'll review the basics just in case you've forgotten. Shortbread is mostly made of flour, butter, vanilla, and powdered sugar. There are plenty of other things that you can add to give extra flavor to the cookies, but the basic taste depends on the quality of the butter and vanilla. This is why I suggest using real vanilla extract (in fact, I suggest using it all the time, even though it is more expensive than it's artificial counterpart). In this particular recipe, dutched cocoa and instant expresso provide more flavor than anything else, so it's not as big of a deal.

I enjoyed eating these shortbread cookies. They're pretty dense, seeing as they haven't any egg or baking, and the cocoa is nice with the texture. The coffee taste is hardly detectable, but I still would recommend not eating any of these after dinner time, so as not to risk staying awake all night. My family seemed to enjoy these too: I made them Friday evening and they were gone by the middle of the day today (of course, there were also just eight pieces, which helped).

Alright, that's all for now. A New Year's post is in the works with some discussion about the conference I attended in Chicago, but I give it another day or two until I feel like it's ready to go up. I've only just begun gathering my notes and thoughts, so I've got to figure out how to package them for internets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails