Pages

2.08.2009

molasses in.. february

Life continues to be far too busy for sanity - between homework, grading, and doing things with people, I find that I hardly have time to do all the other things that want doing (namely, cleaning my apartment, making fancier cookies, and reading books I want to finish).

Yes, I'm behind on making fancier cookies. I intended to make linzer cookies this week, but a hastily-planned girls' night forced me to reconsider (I'll try to do it next week). Instead, I flipped through my recipe book to find a molasses cookie (32) recipe I thoroughly enjoy.

I had been hoping to wait until the summer to make these, for nostalgic purposes. When I was a kid, my grandma would buy molasses cookies with what I suppose was strawberry jam spread on them to make happy faces. Unfortunately, that bakery closed several years ago, but she continued to play around with making these cookies. The faces were a little funny when she made them, but they were still good and I enjoyed them very much.

You can see in the picture that I didn't put faces on these cookies, but that's okay too. The actual cookie recipe is about the same level of difficulty as basic sugar cookies (the non rolling kind), which means they were very easy to make. The flavor for these cookies comes, well, from the molasses in them, as well as the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice. Honestly, these are basically softer versions of gingerbread cookies. Maybe it's nostalgia that makes me enjoy these, but I think they're good cookies. Hopefully they'll be well-received by my friends on Monday.



This weekend, a front came through the Midwest, finally raising the temperatures well above freezing. As a result, everyone and their brother has been going out more. I was walking around campus the other night when I saw an example of so many people out being loud and drunk and so on, and I had completely forgotten that colleges are like this. I don't know if this means I am too sheltered as a grad student, I work too hard, or that I'm just turning into an old lady. I would say it's a problem, but I don't think it actually is. The warm weather is nice, though, and I hope I'll get a chance to actually enjoy it (instead of spending all of daylight wasting away in my office).

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails